Jen | Before Midnight

A (hopefully) safe space for yet another GR refugee.

Liar - Justine Larbalestier I wanted desperately to like this book. I really did. I'd heard so many good things about it. After a slow start, and a few distractions, I finally finished it, but just came away with a so-so feeling about the whole thing.

I went into the book knowing just a couple of things: Micah is a liar; her boyfriend is dead; and she wants to tell the truth about what happened to him. What I got was a lot different. I expected the truth to be that Brandon had killed him, or worse, Micah, or even someone else. What I got was nowhere in the realm of what I was expecting, and I think this surprise actually disappointed me in some ways. I wasn't expecting anything along the lines of supernatural or paranormal, yet that's exactly what I got.

Micah lies so much during the course of the novel, I lost track of which lie she was trying to correct. First, her brother exists, then he doesn't. First, her science teacher explains what happens after death, but no, she really didn't. By the end of the book, I was so busy keeping track of Micah's lies, and which ones she was correcting, that I couldn't really enjoy myself.

The Husband's Secret