Jen | Before Midnight

A (hopefully) safe space for yet another GR refugee.

TMNT: Villains micro-series vol. 1

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Villain Micro-Series Volume 1 (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Micro-Series) - Brian Lynch, Joshua Williamson, Erik Burnham, Jason Ciaramella

So it's no secret that I like TMNT. A lot. I grew up with them and it's one of the only things that I refuse to let go. Imagine my surprise when I came across a graphic novel on netgalley (and, even better, it's listed as read now). I immediately picked it up, and...

Well, truthfully, I really enjoyed it. If you watch the cartoons, Baxter Stockman and Krang are somewhat familiar characters, although how familiar depends on the incarnation--after all, Stockman in the '87 toons was a dweeby nerd that eventually turns into some weird fly mutant, and Stockman in the '03 series is a brilliant megalomaniac whose ambitions quickly go from being a great scientist to nothing but revenge.

Krang's back story and Stockman's back story are somewhat similar, in that they were both inspired by their respective fathers. Old Hob and Alopex are both mutants, one working to become a Big Bad in his own right, and the other working for the Shredder himself.

The artwork is gorgeous. Each story has its own color scheming, and it's beautifully done to separate the stories. Each story is also book-ended with full-page images of the character in question.

Overall, it was a nice, quick read for some backstory on a few of the villains. I enjoyed it and look forward to more.

The Husband's Secret